Mar 05, 2021
Students who hold a bachelor’s degree and wish to become a secondary level (grades 8-12) teacher of Biology, may complete a post baccalaureate program that consists of the equivalent of a degree in biology and 18 credit hours of pedagogical coursework in education.
Students who are interested in the program must meet the following criteria:
- Evidence of a bachelor’s degree
- A GPA of 2.8 or better
- Successful completion of the Massachusetts Test for Educator Licensure: Communication and Literacy Skills Sub-test
- Personal Statement
Students must complete an essay of no more than one page in response to one of the following questions/statement:
- Tell about a positive situation in which you helped a person and made a significant difference in that person’s life.
- What are the most important factors in establishing a long-term working relationship with students, friends, etc.?
- Tell us about a significant event that involved you in a teaching or helping role.
- Describe the situation as it occurred at the time.
- What did you do in that particular situation?
- How did you feel about the situation at the time you were experiencing it?
- How do you feel about the situation now?
- What would you change, if anything?
Once accepted, students will undergo a transcript review by the graduate program chair or undergraduate advisor, as designated by the department and a plan of study will be developed that addresses:
- Courses missing (if applicable) in the subject that are equivalent to the requirements for the major will be determined through a transcript review. Students will complete all requirements of the major and license as identified in the undergraduate program.
- Courses as identified below in the teacher preparation program (pedagogy courses):
When courses are in a student’s plan of study, they will complete the plan of study at the undergraduate level, or at the graduate level if the equivalent is offered.
Once the licensure program is completed, students can request admission to the graduate program after completing additional admissions requirements as designated by the department.
Required Education Courses
Once a student has completed all requirements for professional and content specific courses, they will be eligible for endorsement in their selected field through Fitchburg State University.