Feb 28, 2024
Anne Howard, PhD
Graduate Curriculum Committee
Lyndsey Benharris, PhD
William Cortezia, PhD
Danette Day, EdD
Anne Howard, PhD
Ruth Joseph, EdD, co-chair
Richard Masciarelli, MEd
Nancy Murray, EdD
Robert Shapiro, PhD, BCBA-D
Annette Sullivan, EdD
The Special Education Guided Studies, Dyslexia Specialist, will meet the needs of individuals who are seeking a Master’s degree as well as Wilson Language Training® Level I and Level II certification. This program is not designed for students seeking a teaching license. Students complete four core courses, including a capstone course on implementation of best practices, and 27 credits in three goal areas. In this Dyslexia Specialist Concentration, individuals will complete 9 courses/27 credits with content meeting the Knowledge and Practice Standards for Teachers of Reading set forth by the International Dyslexia Association (IDA). Three courses are associated with Wilson Reading Level I Certification, three courses are associated with Wilson Reading Level II Certification, and the three courses in the Foundations of Literacy goal area have been selected to meet IDA standards.
Fitchburg State University intends to seek accreditation through the IDA as an accredited program. Graduates of IDA accredited programs will be eligible to sit for the IDA exam and received Dyslexia Specialist IDA certification.
Admissions Standards and Criteria
To apply for enrollment in the Special Education, Guided Studies, Dyslexia Specialist M.Ed. program, a student must submit documents as outlined in the Graduate Admission section, as well as:
- Official transcripts of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Personal Statement
- Note: MAT/GRE exams are not required
Students must complete an essay of no more than one page in response to one of the following questions/statement:
- Tell about a positive situation in which you helped a person and made a significant difference in that person’s life.
- What are the most important factors in establishing a long-term working relationship with students, friends, etc.?
- Tell us about a significant event that involved you in a teaching or helping role.
- Describe the situation as it occurred at the time.
- What did you do in that particular situation?
- How did you feel about the situation at the time you were experiencing it?
- How do you feel about the situation now?
- What would you change, if anything?
Core Requirements - 9 credits
Goal Area I: Wilson Level I Certification - 9 credits
Wilson Reading System courses are offered by the Wilson Language Institute, an education partner with Fitchburg State University. Wilson is a leader in the field of reading instruction, and a provider of professional learning and research-based reading and spelling curricula for all ages. Students register for Fitchburg State University credit upon successful completion of these courses (3 credits each), so that they may be applied to the M.Ed. in Special Education, Guided Studies Dyslexia Specialist program.
- READ 7012 Wilson Reading System - Word Study Part 1, Steps 1-3
- READ 7014 Wilson Reading System - Word Study Part 2, Steps 4-6
- READ 7020 Wilson Reading System - Level I Practicum, Steps 1-6
Goal Area II: Wilson Level II Certification - 9 credits
- READ 8040 Wilson Reading System - Group Mastery Practicum
- READ 8050 Wilson Reading System - Advanced Word Study Steps 7-12 OR
- READ 8021 Wilson Reading System - Level II Course
- READ 8060 Wilson Reading System - Advanced Word Study Practicum, Steps 7-12
Goal Area III: Foundations of Literacy - 9 credits