Dec 08, 2023
This program is under review and not accepting applications at this time.
Graduate Program Chair
Lisa Grimm, PhD
Emma L. Downs, PhD
Christopher Picone, PhD
Erin Rehrig, PhD
The graduate program in science education is for students who want to expand their study of biology, chemistry, earth science and environmental science. This program enhances teaching methods, curricula, research and content in science education. In addition, students can pursue professional licensure in general science (5-8).
The science education program is flexible enough to accommodate students interested in elementary, middle school, secondary or non-traditional science education. Students work closely with an advisor to select the appropriate balance of content and teaching courses to meet their objectives. Students pursuing professional licensure in general science must complete a science teaching internship and 18 credits of coursework in science content chosen from at least two of the sciences including biology, earth science and appropriate courses in physics and chemistry offered through the science education program.
Admissions Standards and Criteria
To apply for enrollment in the Master of Education in Science Education Program, the student must submit documents as outlined in the graduate admission section as well as:
- An official transcript of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution with a major or minor in biology, earth science, physics, chemistry or related field
- Documentation of initial teaching license (for students pursuing professional licensure)
- Applicants to the M.Ed. in Science Education must complete an essay of no more than one page in response to one of the following statements or questions:
- Tell us about a positive situation in which you helped a person and made a significant difference in that person’s life.
- What are the most important factors in establishing a long-term working relationship with students, friends, etc.?
- Tell us about a significant event that involved you in a teaching or helping role.
- Describe the situation as it occurred at the time.
- What did you do in that particular situation?
- How did you feel about the situation at the time you were experiencing it?
- How do you feel about the situation now?
- What would you change, if anything?
Subtotal Required Credits 9 cr.
Electives Required for Professional License
Additional elective options
Subtotal Required Electives 27 cr.