Feb 28, 2024
Return to: Graduate Programs
MS—Applied Communication, Social Media Concentration
Graduate Program Chair
Kyle Moody, PhD
Graduate Curriculum Committee
Viera Lorencova, PhD
Randy Howe, EdD
Kyle Moody, PhD (Chair)
John J. Sylvia, PhD
Samuel Tobin, PhD
The Master of Science in Applied Communication, Social Media concentration program is geared towards individuals interested in the study of social media in applied contexts. This concentration prepares students for the careers that require: applied understanding of social media theories and practice; design and management of social media sites and applications; ability to design and execute a social media campaign; ability to apply quantitative and qualitative communication research methods and integrated social media marketing skills; effective data visualization and multimedia presentation skills, and the application of intercultural communication competency in the social media context.
Courses are designed to prepare students to pursue careers in a broad range of media, business, public, and educational organizations; or to continue their graduate education beyond the Master’s level.
- This will be an accelerated online program. All required courses will be offered online, during Summer terms A and B, Fall terms A and B, and Spring terms A and B.
- The faculty includes experienced communication media practitioners and a community of scholars drawn from a wide variety of interests in the field of communication
Student Learning Outcomes
Applied Communication, Social Media Concentration students will be able to:
- Critically conceptualize social media within historical and social contexts
- Identify and assess the ethical implications of social media uses
- Collect and analyze research data, and contextualize research findings
- Design, plan, monitor, manage, evaluate and revise social media content and campaigns
Admissions Standards and Criteria
To apply for enrollment in the Master of Science in Applied Communication Program, a student must submit documents as outlined in the graduate admissions section.
- BS/BA degree in Communications Media or related disciplines, with a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Three professional references
The Master of Science Degree in Applied Communication Program requires 12 courses for a total of 36 credits:
Social Media Concentration Courses, 18 credits